This week I’m celebrating Green Bean Books‘ sixth anniversary!
And, later this month, I’ll be celebrating my third year working there. I couldn’t have asked for a better place to work at. And, everything you may imagine about working at a children’s bookstore, believe it. I think our store is truly a magical place, like something out of a story book.
Here are six reasons why I love Green Bean Books.
1) My boss. I’ve been lucky to have had such great bosses but I really hit the jackpot. I feel constantly challenged, inspired, and appreciated.
2) My co-workers. Getting to work with other book-loving people really makes it a treat to come to work. It says something when we are also friends outside of work.
3) Our customers. I’ve gushed often about how awesome and well-read and intelligent and kind the people who come to our store are and I will probably continue to do so! Then there’s the subset of authors and illustrators who come in, not just to promote their books, but also to support our store. That always makes me feel good.
4) The store. My boss has created a wonderful not just for kids but for everyone. Besides the books, there are fun things to discover. I hope, if any of you are in Portland, that you will stop by.
5) The events. We’ve had so events that I think make Green Bean Books such an important and fun part of the community. We have regular story times in addition to Sign Language and Spanish as well as Read to a Therapy Dog where kids can practice their reading skills to a furry friend. I love leading our Family Book Club. And, I’ve also been doing a super special event- Junior Bookseller Boot Camp!
6) The books. And, of course, there are the books that have made all these possible.
My Audio/Video Pick is George Saunders’ commencement speech from 2013.
What are you celebrating this week?